Wednesday 7 August 2013

Going Back to My Roots


Debbie Mumm was probably my first quilting love - I loved her style, her quilts, her fabrics. I have always had a notion to make the cover quilt from the above book.
I have also been gently collecting flannel fabric for some time. All these factors have now come together and I started a small quilt last week. First I made the HST blocks. I wanted a very simple pattern as I know flannel can be a bit temperamental, prone to stretching.

Then I cut lots of 6 1/2" squares. I am simplifying the pattern, missing out the Friendship Stars. Finding it really hard to be random in my placement of the squares, this is not the final layout, I'm sure.


And yesterday, I got the bears on - they are made from flannel & velveteen. I like those bears.


This is going to be a Christmas gift for my son's girlfriend - she is a very stylish & modern young lady but loves a proper Christmas so I am hoping this cuddly quilt will be welcomed into their trendy city centre apartment for 2 weeks a year!!
I have also made my ticket for the Stitch Gathering. Jo sent us all a fabric ticket to embellish - genius idea and as I will be teaching Crazy Quilting, what else could I do?

But before Edinburgh, there is Birmingham. Excitement mounting as tomorrow, three of us are off to the Festival of Quilts. We haven't been for a few years so are really looking forward to a self indulgent weekend.
Maybe see some of you there??





13 comments:

  1. Your ticket is fantastic! So well done!
    Have a great time in Birmingham, and please take your camera and share a few snaps if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bears!

    Have a great time in Birmingham I am sure it will be a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be in Birmingham fri- sun really looking forward to it. Love your stitch gathering ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time and your quilt is looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, totally love your ticket Sheila! One of the best yet :)
    Have a great time at FOQ - so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might see you there - I'm going for the first time this year. Sat-Sun I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even see the bears in the pattern version! This looks like it's going to be a lovely Christmassy quilt - perfect for snuggling under while you watch the snow falling...

    The ticket is fantastic - aren't you clever?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ticket! Have a great time at FoQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bears! Really have to get going on that ticket of mine...

    Have fun at FoQ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a ticket! Yours is so bright an fun - love it. Your Debbie Mumm quilt is shaping up nicely. My hexie quilt has a lot of Debbie Mumm fabric in there - 12/13 years ago when I bought the fabric it was the most modern stuff we could find here in NI! They are warm, cosy and comforting fabrics though, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. DM - I have missed her - until all my Christmas stuff comes out! Enjoy Foq - not going this year so there should be plenty fabric for you to buy!

    Lovely ticket! Hope you have fun there too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such nice posts! Lots of colour and quilty fun going on in your neck of the woods and the flannels are beautiful.
    Hope the "Crazy" W/shop..... (not the- Crazy W/shop) goes as planned and cant wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...